Thursday, December 20, 2012

Peanut Tracker: 7 Week Update- Smiling, Santa, and Sad Events

Sleepy girl
The 7 week mark was full of exciting moments for our (not so little) peanut. Eric weighed her and she was already over 13 lbs!

She loves her daddy!
On Sunday night she rolled over for the first time! The three of us were in the bedroom and Eric put her on the bed with me. After lying on her belly for a couple minutes, she decided to roll over. We were both shocked! Babies aren't expected to do that until 4 or 5 months! She has had good head control since she was born and has been able to push up her head to a 90 degree angle for a couple weeks. She can also sit up with support. She's been rolling over at almost every tummy time since. Sometimes she just rolls right over, and other times she slows down midway and uses her leg to kick the rest of the way over. When she does that it reminds me of how I got out of bed when I was pregnant. She has also been smiling a lot more and will even smile just from the sound of my voice or seeing my face! I love that smile and could stare at her smiling all day! She mimics my facial expressions and is cooing and trying to laugh too. It's the absolute cutest!

Meeting Santa
On Tuesday we took her to meet Santa for the first time! As most parents are, I was a little nervous that she would be scared of a strange man in a red suit and a long beard. However, she slept through the whole thing. We dressed her up, took her to the mall, took her out of the car seat, fussed with her hair, waited in line, and put her in Santa's arms without a peep. If only next year could be that easy! Tuesday night we also took our family photo for our Christmas cards. Charlee was less cooperative for those pictures and we had to take what we could get. But I'm still glad we took them. You only get one first Christmas as a family.

First family Christmas
Charlee's clingy phase continued into week 7 and it was making things really difficult to get done. I finally went up to the nursery and found the Moby wrap. After struggling with how to tie it on (I lost the instruction manual), I put Charlee in the wrap and walked around the house a little. She went from screaming and crying to sleeping in seconds. She absolutely LOVES the wrap! And I love that I have both hands free and can walk around. I've used it almost every day since. Now I'm looking forward to trying other holds and slings as time goes on.

Outfit my step mom made
I would like to mention the unfortunate and terrifying school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut on December 14. I was at the Post Office mailing our Christmas cards when my mother called and asked if I had heard the news. After turning on CNN I learned of the details of the tragedy. 20 children lost. Their short lives ended way too soon. It's every parents worst nightmare and it happened in a place that both children and parents should feel safe. We may never understand the gunman's motives, but we will always remember the impact these events had on the country. My heart breaks for the victims families and friends. That night I held Charlee a little tighter and said a prayer that we find a solution to violence in our schools.
My smiley baby girl

 On a lighter note, Charlee peed on me this week. She's pooped and peed on me during changings before. That's explainable. But on Sunday night I had changed her and nursed her. When I stood up again, my leg felt wet. I looked down and, sure enough, there was a big warm wet spot there! After laughing it off, I ran to take a shower as quickly as possible. I have officially been initiated into the circle of mom's!

No comments:

Post a Comment