Monday, October 29, 2012

Peanut Tracker: Week 39 Update- The Peanut is Finally Here!!!

This week's update is a day late, but I have a really, really, really good excuse: Charlee Jordan Widener joined the world on Monday, October 22 at 6:17pm!!! She was 9 lbs 5 ounces and 21.25 inches long.

Charlee Jordan Widener
Our adventure began on Monday morning when we had our 39 week appointment and ultrasound at 8am. Eric and I both had a tough time sleeping Sunday night, so when we had to wake up at 6am, we were both pretty cranky. We packed our bags and loaded up the car on the unlikely chance that we were sent to the hospital and headed off to our appointment. My blood pressure was elevated again, slightly higher than the week prior, and the ultrasound estimated Charlee at 9 lbs 6 oz and mostly measuring 40-41 weeks in all areas. Due to both situations, the doctor decided to send us to the hospital for blood pressure monitoring. 

Being monitored
We stopped for breakfast because we hadn't eaten and I was incredibly hungry, then headed up to labor and delivery for monitoring. They monitored me for about 3 hours before my doctor came in to talk with us. She said that I was having contractions (but I couldn't feel them at that point) and although my blood pressure had gone down slightly since we arrived, she was convinced we should go ahead and deliver. She gave us the option for induction but suggested that due to the estimated size a cesarean may be the best option for both the baby and myself. I had a really difficult time making the decision and finally decided around 3pm that I would do the c-section to keep everyone safe. 

Eric's sexy outfit
Eric's parents arrived shortly after we made the decision and spent some time in our room while we anxiously awaited our 5:30pm operating room appointment. After putting on our gear (full body suit with a collar, booties, and mask for Eric and a really sexy gown with a hair net for me), we were taken down to the operating room. Eric had to wait outside of the room while I was prepped with a spinal. They stuck me with a local anesthetic then the spinal needle, but because of my scoliosis, they had to get a different needle. So, they stuck me again and got the spinal going. The doctors were wonderful and we were cracking jokes and swapping stories before they brought Eric back in. Within 5 minutes Charlee was born and it was the most incredible moment of my life. They drew down the curtain and showed her to me and tears immediately filled my eyes. She had fluid in her lungs, so I didn't hear her cry for several seconds and I started to cry again thinking something was wrong. Eric was able to go over and see her while they weighed her and the doctor told me that we made the right decision because I would have ended up in the operating room anyway due to her size. After what seemed like an eternity they brought her over to me and I was able to kiss her before they took her away to neonatal. 

Kissing my daughter moments after her delivery
The rest of the surgery went well and I was in recovery before I knew it. I had a pretty severe reaction to some of the medication and was scratching myself like heroine addict. I still have a few scabs from it. They gave me some benedryl to combat the symptoms, but it made me really groggy, so the first hour or so back in the room is pretty foggy. However, I do remember when they finally wheeled in my daughter and put her in my arms for the first time. It was incredible and there are no words to describe it. She was passed around from me, to Eric, to Granny, Papa, Grampie, and Grammie, then back to me. Then the real fun began!

Being an amazing dad already
Eric was amazing in the hospital. He had never changed a diaper before and quickly learned and changed every diaper in the hospital because I was too sore to stand. He learned to swaddle her and rocked her to sleep in between feedings. On Tuesday I finally got the monitors and catheter removed, was able to walk to the bathroom, and eat for the first time in over 24 hours. Eric brought me a Publix sub (the most amazing meal I have ever had) and my mom, Kathleen, and Chris visited us. Wednesday I was finally able to take a shower and we were discharged after only 44 hours since surgery because I was healing so well and Charlee was doing great. 

Charlee in her take home outfit
Since we brought her home the week has flown by. We have had wonderful visits with Granny, Papa, Wawa, George, Tasha, Kimber, and Lauren. We celebrated Eric's birthday on Wednesday when his family was visiting with a cheesecake (his favorite) and a pretty amazing round of the "Happy Birthday" song. My mom has been an amazing helper by keeping up with cleaning, laundry, cooking and freezing meals, and helping with the baby so Eric and I can get some sleep. I don't know how we will survive once she leaves tomorrow! 

We gave her a sponge bath on Thursday and she handled it surprisingly well. We also took her to her first doctors appointment on Friday. She was cold, so Eric started blowing on her belly and she loved that! She was down to 8 lbs 14 ounces and her bilirubin levels were still elevated so the doctor asked us to take her for another screening on Saturday at the hospital. The next day we went for the screening around 9am and found out that her levels with fine and no more screening would be required. That was a huge relief!
 On a completely random note, Autumn the giraffe (the pregnant giraffe who I have been internet stalking for weeks now) finally gave birth. She delivered a baby boy on Monday night. So, I missed the delivery, but I am now convinced that Charlee and that baby giraffe are linked and we will have to take her to see him one day in the future.
Grampie, Grammie, Charlee, Mommy, and Daddy

I am completely obsessed with this little girl already and can't wait to watch her grow. I am going to continue the blog as she grows, so keep checking back for weekly updates to see what amazing new things she learns!

No comments:

Post a Comment