Sunday, August 12, 2012

Peanut Tracker: Week 28 Update- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Maternity Pants




One week of my third trimester down and I can't believe there are only 78 days until my due date!!!

I'm definitely getting much more uncomfortable. Sleeping is becoming more difficult, which stinks because I am much more tired now than I have been the rest of the pregnancy. My back hurts, my muscles ache (I really need a massage), my knees and hips are sore, and the peanut likes to become really active as soon as I lay down in bed. Even if I spent all day basically lying around on the couch, she waits until I try to sleep to throw a party in my belly. However, even with all of that, I am starting to enjoy my pregnancy much more. My sickness is becoming less and less of an issue because it doesn't last all day, which means I can actually get stuff done. And that means I feel like a person again!

This week I had my gestational diabetes test. I had to drink the nastiest orange drink and try to keep it down on Monday morning. They told me if I didn't keep it down, they would make me wait a while and drink it again! Somehow I managed and got the results back on Tuesday that I DO NOT have gestational diabetes!!! It was such a relief to get that news. I was terrified because of my family history and the fact that I was overweight when I got pregnant. However, the doctor did inform me that my vitamin D levels have significantly dropped (which is bad considering they were already really low in the first trimester). So now I have to double my vitamin supplements and make sure to get about 15 minutes of sunlight without sunscreen or makeup on every day. I never realized how many products I use that have SPF in them. That must be why my skin looks so healthy! I've basically switched my evening walks to morning walks, increased my supplements, and significantly improved my diet to include vitamin D enhanced foods (mostly dairy products). It hurts my tummy, but whatever keeps my baby healthy is worth it! The doctor also informed me that I have gained 18 lbs so far. So there goes my plan to only gain 20-25 lbs the whole pregnancy! She said it is a healthy amount of weight gain, but I really need to make sure to gain 1-2 lbs per week from here on out. I just hope I can lose it quickly later on!

On Friday Eric and I went shopping for a friends baby shower. It was fun to look at baby stuff for a boy after months of only looking at girl stuff. I really wanted to get her something that we hadn't gotten at our baby shower because that meant she probably wouldn't get it either. So, we settled on a diaper pail, mittens, and booties. The pail is pretty cool and I added it to our registry because you can use any garbage bag for that pail. We also bought some Dreft and I came home and washed clothes, blankets, sheets, and towels that didn't have tags on them. It was so much fun to wash and fold all of Charlee's stuff! I can't wait to take the tags off of everything and put it all away! Yes, the nesting continues!

Friday night I had an experience at Dog and Duck (yes, I went to another bar) that I haven't had in months. I was so excited to eat some bar food and ordered a patty melt. When the waitress brought the food I thought it smelled a little strange, but I took a big bite anyway...and almost got sick. I looked at Eric and said that I couldn't eat it. He looked at me funny, tasted it, then looked at me like I was crazy. I told him I couldn't have the sandwich anywhere near me because of the smell and he tried to help justify it for me by saying the caramelized onions were a little strong. So, he ate half my patty melt, his food, and a few of the wings I ended up ordering because my side salad wasn't going to cut it. My response? "Which one of us is pregnant again?"
The 3 pregnant amigos at the baby shower

Saturday was Ashley's baby shower. I met up with Malory earlier in the morning and we went to the shower together. It was a lovely event in a beautiful house with wonderful women. We ate some yummy hors d'oeuvres and cupcakes, watched Ashley open presents (many of which I was jealous of, lol), and chatted. There were other new moms and another pregnant lady there, so we had a great time swapping stories and bonding over motherhood. It really is amazing how women are willing to listen and give advice on the topic. It's like a sisterhood, a bond, that connects all of us in some way.

Pregnancy "glow" 
In peanut related news, the doctor said she is measuring exactly where she should be, so that is comforting! I start having appointments every other week next Monday and am looking forward to more ultrasounds and listening to her heartbeat. On Monday she was sitting breech and from what I can tell by her movements, she hasn't moved yet. However, that can change (and let's hope it does)! This next week she will grow to 15.25 inches (about the size of a butternut squash) and about 2.5 lbs. Her movements should increase over the next few weeks because the space in my belly is getting more cramped as she grows. Her bones, brain, and skeleton are developing more every day and that means making sure that I am giving her enough protein, vitamin c, d, and folic acid. My hormones are surging and I have some lovely blemishes making their way from under my skin, but right now it just looks like I have the much talked about "pregnancy glow".
28 weeks 6 days

Current cravings: peanut butter, chocolate, oranges, ice cream sandwiches

Current aversions: uncooked tomatoes, uncooked onions, caramelized onions








No comments:

Post a Comment