Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I'm Rubber and You're Glue!

I know that I have gone off on this rant in small bursts before, but things have reached the point where it warrants an entire post.

I am so tired of people thinking that just because I'm pregnant they have the right to say or do whatever they want to me. For example, on two separate occasions I have been asked "Do you really want a regular soda?" while ordering at a restaurant. The answer is YES. Even if I wasn't pregnant, what gives you the right to judge what kind of soda I want? However, I would love a diet soda, but artificial sweeteners are bad for baby, so regular Sprite it is when I'm so tired of drinking water I can't stand it.

People who actually realize that I'm pregnant and not just really fat come up to me and rub my bump without asking. I have gotten into the habit of rubbing theirs. It's definitely worth the look of terror on their faces. The only people I want close enough to touch my belly are my family and friends (and it's totally ok if any of you rub it). If people aren't rubbing my belly they are asking personal questions that are none of their business. I'm sorry person-I've-never-met-before but I don't really want to tell you my birth plan or if I plan on breastfeeding. It's none of you're friggin business if I choose to have a natural birth, use an epidural, or have a c-section. I don't want your unsolicited advice about how to raise my child when yours has been running around Target like someone with ADHD and a speed problem for the past hour. And I really don't think it's any of your business if I'm married or not because that has no impact on how much this child will be loved or how she will be raised.

Don't ask me what I plan to name my child if you are going to criticize it. If you are the kind of person who only likes traditional names, don't ask anyone what they plan on naming their child. If you don't like the name we spent days upon days trying to decide on, just smile and nod and keep your opinion to yourself. It isn't your daughter, so what does it matter to you anyway?

Yesterday, while I was shopping in the maternity section, two different people said to me "I think your shirt is a little snug sweetie." Ummmm, no. THAT'S MY BABY BUMP! I realize that some people are built with bigger bellies, but come on, my belly is perfectly round and pops up out of nowhere. My maternity clothes fit perfectly everywhere else then my bump pushes out in front. It is clearly a baby bump. I know it's rude to assume someone is pregnant, but if they are shopping in the maternity section it is fair say they are pregnant.

So here is my request to all of the non-preggos out there: please don't touch or say anything to a pregnant woman that you wouldn't want said or done to you. Think before you speak or act! We are extra sensitive and hormonal and I am tired of crying because of your blatant disregard for socially acceptable interactions. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda - Your blog updated popped up on my newsfeed out of nowhere - but I clicked on it and read this and omg sweetie - people can be so rude. We women have so much to deal with regarding body issues as it is! Don't listen to those fools! You are a gorgeous mama to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenny! It really is difficult to have the body issues I had pre-pregnancy and now have to deal with weight gain and other issues that are out of my control. I am finding little ways to deal with things, but it really helps to vent on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete